Friday 4 October 2013

Pre Transplant activities

Its been a very busy week. Buying things to take in with me, sorting things out for when I am away etc. Its a bit like going away on holiday for a long time and have to get everything in order and actions placed on staff - and knowing that when I get back there will be more things to sort out.

A tip for your teeth.
It is very important to minimise the chance of getting mouth infections during a transplant. I went to the dentist to complete a root canal treatment and get a final cleaning. For many weeks I will not be able to use hard toothbrushes, nor floss as my immune system will be low and I will cut easily (your skin, lips, gums etc become very fragile). They will give me strong mouth wash 3 or 4 times a day - Cordasyl I believe. The dentist suddenly remembered that the same company do a gel and more importantly a tooth paste with the same formula, and gave me a few sample tubes.

Heart and lungs
I have been doing 4000 to 7000 steps every day, climbing stairs, going up hills on my farm and anything else I can to keep my heart, lungs and body fit. My sheep dogs really like it when I get them to work - they will not enjoy the next 3 or 4 months of relative inactivity. When can next work around the farm again, they will be thrilled. I have also have full body massage and reflexology - which help with stress and general well being.

For boredom in hospital
When I am not feeling absolutely rubbish, if it is anything like when Roz was in, you need lost to do - otherwise it is numbing by daytime TV. So I have a few compelling books to read, including the Hobbit and the Lord of the rings. I bought new hard back copies so that the letters would be large enough to read easily, and because my existing well worn and much loved copy is a health risk!!
I will be furnished with a variety of DVDs. On my iPhone I have a lot of favourite music. The isolation ward is very well equipped - including a smart TV and free wifi. I will be taking my laptop with several website that are in need of a major overhaul - I am web-master for our own website, one for Roz and several local organisations such as the Rare Breeds Survival Trust. My intention is to smarten up their image and make them all work on smart phones, pads as well as PCs and Macs.

Loss of hair
I am bound to lose my hair so I have had it cut short to get used to it. My wife has also kindly knitted me several different hats to wear - from very soft up to ones for out door use.

Ros is still doing very well, and had one of her infrequent chemerism tests which confirmed that her donor cells are very much in charge. I look forward to letting you know the same about mine in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment