Friday 11 October 2013

Day -6 and -5

Well I am feeling very well. I have had two days of Fludarabine out of a course of five days. It has already hammered my Nuetrophils quite well, having gone down to .3 from around .8 in just one day - powerful stuff. No side effects, which is good
The food is very acceptable. This is breakfast, so you will note that I have not yet lost my appetite. Tonight I did not fancy any of the main courses, so they let you choose from the hospital restaurant menu
Yesterday was very busy. I have not even opened a book or watched a DVD yet. They managed to get the Xbox attched to the TV working, so I can watch DVDs later - we nearly got it working on our own (we had to find a controller that had disappeared, new batteries, push the connectors in better) but it took a 18 year old on the ward to get the controller to talk to the box!! Then I had great service from the nurses, doctors, cleaners, catering and other staff - they are a very professional, dedicated and friendly team. Ros came in in the afternoon with a matching pillow and blanket (Tesco's best at £10) for my bed - I get cold for some reason just for an hour or so after going to sleep

As I am confined to the room mainly they have set me up an entire gym, which I can use while enjoying the view
My Gym

The view is over the hospital roof and its air con ducts


Mind you its a lovely day out there. The construction work with the crane is quite interesting. If you look very very carefully there is one plant on the roof in the left hand photo above. There is a debate about trying to mask some of the ducting with low flowers - even if artificial. In the distance there are trees and blue sky - so no complaints. When Ros was in Kings, the view on one occasion was of a wall about ten feet away, and the second they had boarded up the windows as there was construction work right outside about 20 feet below, and the noise was of drilling and hammering etc. But you can get used to anything

I think Ros is enjoying doing to me what I did to her - the nagging is to come, which is when I will feel rubbish and need pushing to eat, exercise and just cope. It has to be done, and the nurses have already told me they will switch to nag mode in a few days - but hopefully that phase will only last 2 or 3 days

So, so far so good

And thanks to everyone who has sent best wishes via the blog, email, phone or snail mail. It is much appreciated

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment