Tuesday 22 October 2013

Day 6 after transplant

Feeling not too bad after a good nights sleep, albeit getting up once an hour to go to the loo and stretch a bit
One of the problems that everyone gets to a degree is fluid retention form the volume of liquids being pumped in and because some of the capilleries leak fluid a bit. This my right foot. I have always prided myself on my good looking feet - no longer! You can see the swelling around the ankle in particular. 

The big toe on this foot is suffering as well. I occasionally suffer with gout - which is usually accompananied by shouts of 'too much red wine and red meat' . If you have never had it, it is hard to explain the intensitity of pain from an attack. The treatments have complications such as:

Suppress stem cell production
Or inhibit the anti rejection drugs 

So my consultant had figured out a strategy to control my gout through the transplant by very careful use of one drug, varying the dosage carefully. Some patients have the same drug for a while pre-transplant and are then taken off it. So by accident I was also taken of it, and then had a gout attack. Normal pain killers do not work, so we used an ice pack to dull the pain

Apart from that I feel week and rough but I could be a lot worse

I'll be in touch

No comments:

Post a Comment