Wednesday 17 August 2011

Oh Mr Porter

I went in for an azacitadine jab on Tuesday afternoon. When I logged in with Outpatients I was told that the time had been put back from 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Seemingly one of the nurses had rung me, but I did not get the message on my mobile phone until after I was at the hospital. We decided to wait.

All went well when I had the jab. I asked why it had been delayed.
The answer was that a hospital porter had brought it up to the ward, and had left it on a shelf without getting it signed for. The drug must be kept in a fridge, so when it was found some time later it had to be destroyed and a new batch made up. So the cost of that mistake was
  • Two hour waste of my time and Barbara's
  • Waste of hospital staff time - making it all up again
  • Probably several hundred pounds - AZT is not cheap
The last couple of days I have felt very icky, but feel a bit better today

No comments:

Post a Comment