Thursday 9 September 2010

What should I take into Hospital when having chemo or a transplant?

Using Skype to keep in touch - see below
Rebecca Shepheard has been kind enough to act as a ‘buddy’ for Roz. She had MDS, and it took two transplants to fix her. (Click here for her story) One of the most useful things she told us was what sorts of things to take in to hospital when you go for a 10 week session for say chemo

“Have had a think and a few bits spring to mind that I found incredibly useful:

-  Moisturiser!!!! Lots of it and face and body - the drugs and the climate (rooms are controlled) dries your skin incredibly and I needed multiple applications a day!
-  Music - iPod to fall asleep to and also block out other hospital noises
-  Magazines - I found it difficult to read at all as I started to get more tired so struggled with books - but short articles etc or recipes (like Good Food magazine if you are into that sort of stuff) useful to pick up as and when
-  Day clothes - I was encouraged to get dressed every day - was a bloody nightmare most of the time but gave me a sense of achievement
-  Snuggly dressing gown and slippers - could also be used as a blanket as the temperature in my room varied wildly
-  Pillow - I took my own as their have plastic/rubbery covers which make you sweat and are horrid - I also took my own duvet and slept on top of the bed with their blankets on the bottom - but might be logistically difficult for you
-  Fruit drinks - particularly useful for me taking pills - some of the tastes needed a bit of masking!
-  Fruit sweets / chews (like Opal Fruits) - if your throat gets sore and you struggle to eat or drink, something like this is quite refreshing
-  Snacks - I had TONS of crisps, sweets etc - to supplement the hospital food as it will get incredibly repetitive, is of varying quality and also as you go off food, cravings change - so I had an urge for Dairylea pots with the dipping sticks in, biscuits with cheese in etc.  Your tastebuds will probably change and I lost my sense of taste temporarily - as it diminished I craved strong flavours - like Pickled Onion Monster Munch!!
-  Photos - my family made me up an album and messages and I referred to it constantly
-  Disinfectant wipes - to wipe your table over the bed, handles etc as needed - you have to be so careful re germs and sometimes, with the best intentions, the cleaning isn't thorough enough.

That all worked for me
Rebecca”


Roz also brought it
A mobile phone – she has good reception in most of the ward
A laptop – in Kings College London Hospital there is a great Wi-Fi faculty. £15 pays for a months unlimited access. So Roz keeps in touch with friends and family by email, orders bits and pieces she needs from Internet sites, gets photographs and videos sent to her featuring her children, and most important uses SKYPE


This facility enables you to (video) telephone anyone else in the world for free as they also have this free software. She has a long conversation with her children each day – when they can show off and be silly for while on the video link. She also chats to her partner, other family members and friends. It sort of doubles the visiting hours. (And if you do not want to be disturbed you can just turn the laptop and mobile off)

Knitting – big blunt needles and simple pattern
A sketch book to send home drawings for her children, and to act as a diary
It sound silly - but Roz took her big Teddy
Roz took a light weight (purple) blanket instead of a duvet
And wash clothes daily, change personal pillow cases daily etc
And for when your hair starts to fall out, use one of those roller things to get the fluff of your clothes. It is great for getting fallen hair off your bed
The hospital will also give you a list, including things like a gentle tooth brush


Below is today's email note from Roz back to her friends



"Hi all
Another update to you all. I have finished all my sessions of chemo, 23 over 10 days! Everyone said I did very well, no sickness but an upset tummy. I have a rash which they say one of the types of chemo can cause and now I am getting nose bleeds because my platelets are down. I have had a top up of both platelets and haemoglobin as the drugs knock your normal blood production whilst trying to get rid of the blasts in my bone marrow. Hope you all followed that, it can be confusing to say the least.
I have had some post to the ward and have kept myself occupied by doing some knitting, keeping a dairy, a bit of drawing and embroidery, plus a family member is here every day to keep me company. I am not rushing anything I do as I still have a minimum of two weeks here and could be longer. Some people that come in are quite ill with side effects and don’t manage to go home between their chemo and transplant!!!

Not much more to say.

Love Roz
"

Posted by Roz from Richard's machine

No comments:

Post a Comment