Friday 10 September 2010

The leeches have been at Richard

It turns out that, in addition to an early diagnosis for MDS,  I also have Haemochromatosis which is a posh word that means 'too much iron in my blood'. The best way to reduce the amount is to remove 500 mls every couple of weeks - so that is what Dr Ho has ordered. They just take it through a needle (not by leeches - honest!). It was a big needle though and strangely I felt it hurt more than when I had my two bone marrow tests.
While recovering from that, and waiting for my cup of tea, I took this photo of the nurse checking my blood pressure etc

 According to the literature I have to cut down or give up on beef, lamb, some vegetables and other things that contain iron, and have a cup of tea when I have meals (which inhibits take up of iron). Well I am  beef and lamb farmer who loves his meat, so this is a bit of a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment