Monday 24 June 2013

Cow tries to kill me and fails

I am feeling fine while in bed now

Basically last night a cow that had just had a calf needed to have her calf checked, mainly spraying the calf's umbilical cord.

I got very close and the mother was fine, gently mooing

In the last three feet she attacked me. I ran about 15 feet before the cow caught me and knocked me down. She then proceeded to stomp on me. Luckily I went into a prenatal shape and most of the damage was on my left leg and arm.

She stopped and went back to the calf, and I managed to crawl 15 feet or so further away before attempting to get up - this assured she did not attack again

I got up, like a shaky tree, and somehow went the extra 60 yards to the gate, where I collapsed until Barbara and Simon came to help. I really like adrenalin :-)

The ambulance arrived in minutes, they trussed me up against neck, back, torso etc possible damage

The right leg - which was hurt least
In the emergency ward

When at Derriford Hospital they did the usual checks, CT scan, various X rays and found I am really lucky having a hair line crack on my left lower leg, extensive bruising on that left leg and arm, and hoof prints / and bruises elsewhere, one tooth knocked out, and shock - nothing of any concern

The day after - she tried to attack my farm hands when she was moved
A nice calf though


Given my medical history with varicose veins and a DVT in the past plus my current treatments they feel I am at above average risk of a blood clot with a limb encased in plaster so they want me to have 3 days of subcutaneous jabs of anti clotting stuff

I do not feel up to having the azacitidine  today. I could probably hobble in, given a wheel chair, from tomorrow

The Fracture clinic are going to put a better cast on my leg on Wednesday this week.
So the good news is that the cow did not kill me, I it was about time I learnt how to walk with crutches

The bad news is I got to bed at 7:00 in the morning

I must say that the emergency services were excellent

1 comment:

  1. Heavens, another senseless victim of mad cow disease!

    On a more serious note, I'm so sorry for your misfortune, and certainly hope you feel better and heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete