Friday 22 July 2011

Day 19 after Azacitadine treatment started





Well, in the  last few days my counts have really dropped. These graphs show what has happened. The idea is that they should bottom out about now and then go up to what they were. We do not think the Neutrophils will bottom out for a few more days - the platelets already seem to have done so - which is sorta what was expected. The peak in my neutrophils was when I had an eye infection prior to treatment.

You need Neutrophils to stop you catching things - normal readings are from 2.1 to 6.3. The doctors recommend various measure to reduce the risk of catching something when your Neutrophils are below 1. Below .5 the list is a lot longer. If they go too low, then you go into hospital in transplant room, with barrier nursing.

Platelets are needed to stop you bleeding if you cut yourself - normal readings are from 150 to 450. If they get very low, you get a platelet transfusion.

So I have been instructed to be very careful the next few days - no shopping,  use gloves when stroking the dogs, peel tomatoes, etc

A couple of days ago I went in to be checked out because one of my legs had swelled up a bit and I had cut myself while doing my teeth. The bleeding was because I had 'flossed' them very very carefully - but I had just touched a gum, and it immediately created a cut - seemingly some parts of your skin can get cut more easily while going through all this - so now it is soft toothbrushes only.
The swelling was due to extra fluid retention because I have to drink a lot to stop nausea - and the swelling tends to go to a weakness in my case where I had had blood clots 15 years ago. All very interesting, and nothing to worry about.

1 comment:

  1. I should have said

    My Neutrophils are normally about .6 or .7
    The peak was because I had a minor eye infection, which would have stimulated more being produced

    ReplyDelete