Tuesday 26 July 2011

Checking stock when neutropoenic

Our stockman could not come in at the last minute on Sunday as he had a nasty eye infection which kept him off work for two days. We needed to get some photographs of the cattle, as we are having to sell most of the them to simplify the work to a half manageable level - given that I am likely to have a unrelated bone marrow transplant at the end of the year or early next - which will have to be done in London and Ros is still having treatment.

So we decided to just go ahead and check all 500 or so animals on the farm, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Morning took about 2 1/2 hours as many had to be fed - the afternoon took 90 minutes - some of which was taking photos

Now the Consultant on Friday had told me to be very careful, not to go to the shops etc. So what we did was I put on clean clothes as usual, then clean overalls, then a hat, mask and surgical gloves, with a spare pair in my pocket. Photo taken by Barbara with my iPhone.


I did look  a bit of an idiot - but it was lovely to get out on a nice day, and meet up with the animals. We also made lists of minor repairs around the farm. After the morning I showered with anti-bacterial gel, changed, washed the overalls and repeated the precautions in the afternoon.

So - where there is a will there is a way.
It was a lovely day and I got my photos - some shown below




No comments:

Post a Comment