Wednesday 18 September 2013

Pre Transplant Procedures commence

Well here we go

I finished my last dose of Azacitadine yesterday (probably :-) ). I have managed the effects of these last two courses quite well, even though they knock me out for several hours given the full strength nature. I suspect that my fast recover from the chemo is in part due to diet, a lot of walking, climbing stairs and hills quickly, and doing controlled deep breathing for a few minutes each day.

I just got details of my next steps
The transplant is not a 'go' until I pass various tests and have a pre-transplant special meeting with my great consultant.  This mainly to go through the procedure and the risks and what can be done about them. So the tests start on Monday with:


09.00hrs-ECHO(Heart test) Cardiology
10.00hrs-Nuclear Medicine for Kidney tests
A series of blood tests taken at 12.00/13.00/14.00 in the venepunture suite
12.30-Lung function test- Chest clinic 

Special pre-transplant clinic on Friday
Bone marrow test and other things to follow

During all of this we are waiting for the preferred donor to be checked out and confirm a mutually acceptably date - hopefully mid to late Oct

So this is good. A transplant is the only opportunity for a cure, so even though it is scary I will go forward to it with all my will power and strength. I can count on a great team at the hospital, and the constant support of my wife and Roz and help of other family and friends when they can make it. 

All prayers gratefully received.

No comments:

Post a Comment